Thursday, September 15, 2005

Hockey Pool Rules

Well, I only have 6 days until I've got to sit in the bar and run the draft for a hockey pool. I'm looking forward to it, I think... it's gonna take a while, I figure. The first few rounds will go really well, but when we all get to the nitty gritty, it'll drag... especially when there is beer involved.

Anyways... I have my hockey pools set this year quite simply.

Each team will pick six (6) forwards, three (3) defensemen and one (1) goalie for a total of ten (10) players. That's a reasonable sized team and when I maxed out the pool team list at 30, it means every team potentially should have a starting goalie for a team.

My points system will be very straight forward...
  • Goal = 1 point
  • Assist = 1 point
  • Win (either in regulation or shootout) = 2 points
  • Shutout (only applies to regulation wins) = 2 points

And there you have it. That's all of it. The shutout point structure may have to change, depending how the NHL is going to divvy up the goalie statistics on their own site. Potentially, the NHL could give a shutout to goalies that send a game to a shootout after a 0-0 result. I hope that isn't the case, because there is a serious potential for some funky statistics. I wish they would divulge their intentions sooner rather than having to figure it out for ourselves when the season gets started. Anyways... let's get drafting.

No comments: