When the NHL announced the Simon suspension, they said it was because it was because of his career-long list of suspensions that is exceptionally long. Now, granted, Pronger hasn't served a suspension longer than four games before, but he has served seven previous suspensions before this one. Of course, Pronger being a previous NHL MVP, there seems to be some sort of bias, but that will be up for debate all next week.
If I was part of the NHLPA, I would go after the league for being so harsh on guys like Steve Downie (non-pool) and Simon, who have both served some exceptionally long suspensions this season. You cannot defend their actions, but you can defend the length of their suspensions. In both Downie and Simon's incidents, their 'victims' were both defenseless and unaware of what was coming to them. Wasn't Kesler in the same boat?
I would sure like to see Colin Campbell step down as head disciplinarian of the NHL, once the league and the media eat him alive for this debacle.
No comments:
Post a Comment