Thursday, May 24, 2018

Kane Re-Ups in San Jose



I have been sitting on the San Jose Pool Outlook post for a few days for a couple of reasons: 1) I've been too busy to finish it up and 2) I've heard that Evander Kane has been close to a contract extension with the team and I thought I might as well wait.

On Thursday, it became official, the Sharks and the 26-year old came to terms on a 7-year, $49 million deal after he made quite the positive impression on the organization upon arriving from a trade deadline deal with the Buffalo Sabres.  Kane was set to become an unrestricted free agent in July, but the Sharks were able to pony up some cash for the winger and one might argue that it was a steep price to pay.

Sure, in the 2018 season, he scored 29 goals between Buffalo and San Jose, finishing with 54 points, ranking 115th overall in pool scoring and 84th overall among all forwards, but I'm not quite sure if that's worth being tied for 35th in cap hits in the NHL next season.  The Sharks had some room for some signings, something that I'll touch on tomorrow with my outlook, but if you're playing in a fantasy league where the players' cap hits count in some fashion, this is an expensive player for only 54 points.

No comments: